How Is Mold Remediation Handled?
Mold remediation is a highly specialized practice requiring a great deal of skill, even if many of the preliminary steps can be performed yourself to help mitigate the problem and prevent its spread throughout your Danbury, CT, home. The best way to prevent mold from spreading and eliminate contamination from black mold is to contact a remediation specialist for mold cleanup, but it helps to understand the steps in the process.
The Key Steps in Mold Remediation
Black mold cleanup and remediation involves:
• Use of personal protective equipment. Mold, particularly black mold, should never be handled without use of personal protection, including gloves, eyewear, and a respiratory mask rated for particulates, preferably one that covers the nose and mouth. Old clothing or some sort of coverall should also be worn, covering all areas of exposed skin.
• Containment. One of the most critical steps is containment. This means shutting off HVAC and water to prevent spread of spores by air and stop fueling mold growth with possible water leakage. Identify the source of any water damage and address it immediately. Seal off mold-infested areas until they can be cleaned.
• Tear Out. Some organic materials, once mold-infested, cannot be salvaged and must be torn out and replaced. Tearing out carpet, linoleum, and drywall can also expose additional mold infestations to the light.
• Drying of wet materials. Any wet materials that can be salvaged should immediately be taken outside and exposed to direct sunlight to dry out in a clear, open area free of any visible mold or other contaminants.
• Cleaning and disinfection. The last stage in mold remediation is cleaning and disinfection, often requiring specialized equipment. Mold must first be removed from surfaces, and then those surfaces disinfected to kill any additional spores or particulates and prevent mold from growing on that surface again.
• Prevention. After removing a mold issue, the most vital step is preventing it from reoccurring. Keep your mold under control by addressing and resolving any moisture problems.
For more on Danbury Click here.