Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After your fire damage situation, safety is your number one priority. Fire can leave behind smoke and soot damage which can be present on majority on the structure or content of your home. First you want to ensure your home is safe to enter. Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Danbury/ Ridgefield to assess the safety of your home. Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards can be hazardous to you and your family after fire fighting efforts. We provide services such as fire restoration, water restoration clean up, carpet and upholstery cleaning, odor removal, and building services in your residential and commercial property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (203) 791-0920
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.