What Is Black Mold?
Unmasking Real Truths About Black Mold in Your Danbury Home
In the world of molds, there are thousands of residential types alone that you might encounter growing on surfaces in your Danbury home. Because of the menacing appearance of black mold, or more technically known as Stachybotrys chartarum, it has a worse reputation with homeowners upon its discovery. Is it any more dangerous or toxic for you to be around this variety of residential mold than others? In truth, almost every type of household mold can have a detrimental effect on those exposed, not just black molds.
The Toxicity of Mold Colonies
Words like ‘toxic’ are put into publications and public announcements to generate panic and action when you encounter these organisms. Reaching out to the remediation specialists of our SERVPRO team can help you to contain this threat where it gets found using thick plastic sheeting and wood framing. This barrier prevents spore migration and volatile organic compounds produced by active colonization to reach the occupants of your Danbury house or your pets.
Myths of Mold
There is as much incorrect information about mold on the internet as there is credible advice. Wading through the misinformation, you can learn a few simple truths about why professional remediation is necessary:
• Mold growths do not vanish on their own
• A moisture problem now is a moisture problem in the future
• DIY methods only scratch the surface of the actual mold problem
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Danbury / Ridgefield immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (203) 791-0920
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Danbury / Ridgefield is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Redding Ridge
- Aqua Vista
- Lattins Landing